Jet into the Illawarra
Sydney, Australia: The skies over Shellharbour and Wollongong will play host to one of Australia’s largest and most spectacular air shows, Wings Over Illawarra, on Saturday 30 April and Sunday 1 May.
“Within an easy drive or train ride from Sydney, Wings Over Illawarra provides Sydney residents and those visiting the city another great reason to plan a day trip or a weekend away to the beautiful Illawarra region,” said NSW Minister for Trade, Tourism and Major Events, Stuart Ayres.
Destination NSW CEO Sandra Chipchase said the Illawarra is the ultimate destination for adventure lovers making it the perfect place to host Wings Over Illawarra. “With skydiving, hang gliding, a waterpark, aviation museum, treetop zipline, wildlife park and more there’s something for all the family,” she said.
Some of the activities and attractions on offer in the Illawarra include:
- Book tickets and accommodation now for Wings Over Illawarra and take in two days of aeronautical displays and aerobatics featuring Australia’s own Top Gun pilot, Matt Hall. Relive the past with a spectacular display of classic warbirds and vintage aircraft, helicopter flights, rare and vintage car and motorcycle displays. There’s also the Kids Zone and flight simulators. The Novotel Wollongong Beach, Sage Hotel Wollongong, Wollongong Surf Leisure Resort and Jamberoo Resort are all offering special rates for airshow attendees.
- Learn about Australia’s fascinating aviation history at HARS, the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society. View ‘Connie’ the 1950s airliner and two Neptune Bombers plus step aboard WWII troop carriers, an F-111 cockpit and a Qantas Boeing 747-400
- Jump from Australia’s highest altitude of up to 14,000 feet directly over North Wollongong Beach with Skydive Sydney Wollongong. After a 60 seconds freefall, float for five minutes soaking up the gorgeous views of Wollongong and Sydney’s southern beaches
- Enjoy a tandem hang gliding adventure from Bald Hill, Stanwell Tops for a magnificent birds-eye view of the Grand Pacific Drive, Seacliff Bridge and Wollongong beaches with HangglideOz
- Fly 35 metres above the forest floor on a series of cable spans and navigate suspension bridges on an Illawarra Fly Zipline Tour, officially the highest in Australia. The After Dark Zipline Tour passes between illuminated trees under the cover of darkness
- Slip and slide down the Funnel Web, one of the longest and biggest water rides of its kind in the world at Jamberoo Action Park. There’s plenty of other action with the Taipan, Billabong Beach, Rapid River and Banjo’s Billabong rides and park areas
- Arrive in style with a Prancing Horse Supercar Tour, driving the Grand Pacific Drive from Sydney to the Illawarra over the Seacliff Bridge in a Ferrari, Lamborghini or Aston Martin
- Visit the Australian Motorlife Museum and see the impressive collection of vintage cars and motorcycles on display. Visitors will learn about the history of motoring and can view the Paul Butler Collection, which includes 16 beautifully restored vehicles from before the 1930s
- Get up close and personal with koalas, dingoes, meerkats, monkeys, and red pandas at Symbio Wildlife Park. Visit the koala breeding sanctuary and state-of-the-art reptile house; and
- Explore vineyards, beaches, hidden trails, National Parks and lagoons on board an eco-friendly Segway Personal Transporter with Segway Tours South Coast. The tours feature Killalea State Park and Lagoon, Coolangatta Estate, Mystics Beach and the Minnamurra River.
Attendees can share their adventures in NSW with Destination NSW @Visitnsw #NewSouthWales